The church of Virgin Mary Nerantziha is a monument of great importance on which a characteristic is clearly visible both seasons , classical and Byzantine , who created it . The lower portion of the tower of the fortifications is the only extant and visible now part of the wall of the ancient city of Corfu and the construction of place in the classical period ( 5th century BC ) .
During the Byzantine period the tower was remodeled into a small basilica with three-sided apse and sanctuary rich ceramic decoration on the outer side of the wall , a feature of Byzantine architecture of the 11th and 12th century , a period in which installed and the foundation of the church . In mesavyzantina years ( since 1453 ) , the church was repaired and added splint on the south side. The collapse of the bell tower , the west wall and the arch around 1900 gave the monument its current form .
Booking Corfu Hotels
Corfu Special Offers
Directions - Church of Virgin Mary Nerantziha
Places and Businesses nearby - Church of Virgin Mary Nerantziha
select from the categories above